at STEM Cafe
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
STEMCafe is a non-linear learning centre where kids and young adults through play, explore the amazing world of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) through fun interactive activities for them to experiment with amazing creations and ideas that develop lifelong learning and interest in STEM.
We are expanding Africa’s capacity and diversity of the STEM workforce pipeline to prepare the younger generation for the best jobs of the future that will see Africa become innovative, secure and competitive.
We are looking to recruit a Communications Lead, passionate about science, technology, and facilitation. The Communications Lead will serve as the creative architect focused on managing the successful development, planning, and execution of external and internal communications strategies and programs that align with STEMCafe’s mission and business objectives.
Reporting to the CEO, the Communications Lead will oversee the team and coordinate the communication efforts to maintain a dynamic flow of engaging information about the growth of the business, our industry as a whole, our company milestones, community, and product launches.
- Create and develop clear communication and promotional plans that promote and drive visibility for the organization on all social media platforms
- Maintain and grow STEMCafe community/stakeholders.
- Work closely with unit heads to develop and execute communications initiatives, and shape their unit Programme to produce relevant, compelling social media updates.
- Capture and document media content (pictures and videos) of the kids, and daily activities at the café.
- Collaborate with the graphic designer to develop a compelling copy for designs (banners etc.).
- Create and design a content calendar every month.
- Create communications strategy for current and existing activities.
- Analyze, track, and report on key quantitative metrics for performance, which includes measuring and providing reports on each campaign and developing responses when needed.
- Work as part of a team to keep the café organized and safe for kids at all times.
- Collaborate to develop online content that engages our community and leads to measurable action.
- Oversee and organize all of our communications assets, current and from the past including but not limited to press lists, tracking docs, plans, written materials, videos, photos, banners, etc.
- Manage all social media platforms (responding to customers' inquiries or requests)
- Work closely with our website team, on improving our website.
- Degree in marketing, communication, or related field.
- 2+ years of experience in communications, PR, or a related field.
- Experience with creative storytelling, proactive press outreach, and building relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and google tools.
- Executive-level written and visual presentation skills, with effective communication across functional teams.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrate problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Strong, versatile copywriting skills.
- Must be fun and able to connect with kids and teammates using various strategies.
- Strong research and analytical skills, with the ability to pay attention to details.
- Able to work independently, and under minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate ideas and plans clearly and effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Confident, self-motivated, and able to work well in teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with lots of responsibility.
- Basic editing skills for pictures and videos.
What we offer
- Paid time off
- A highly collaborative team environment that will support your professional and personal growth
- Work alongside great talent.
- A culture of learning and innovation.
- Opportunities for career growth and training.
- Interaction with industry leaders and forward-thinking people.
- A chance to make a social difference.
- Overall fun company.